Thursday 2 September 2010

Leg space on a train

Lately, i've been spending A LOT of time on trains. Like most people i try to get 2 seats to myself, but sometimes you can't keep hold of that extra 'seat for your bag'. Recently i had a reserved seat which was on a table.

I hate table seats when i'm travelling alone because:
It means your less likely to be alone as your sitting with 3 other people
You're facing someone directly, so it's hard to avoid any eye contact
You cant sit with your bag under your chair for easy access
as
their is limited leg room
and so
you have to lay all your travel belongings out on the table - in view of your other table sitters

Let me just highlight the limited leg room issue - Men seem to think women dont have legs. Not only do women have suffer with men sitting open legged constantly 'for comfort', but now we have to keep our legs tucked in awkwardly the whole journey as a man needs way over half of the leg space. If i was to draw the equal leg space allowance on the table, they would be way into my area...

Well, i have drawn it:


Here you can see how much room is theoretically allowed and the intursion into my personal leg allowance. And to top it all off, they kick your feet too!

(This is not aimed at all men - you know who you are!)

1 comment:

  1. this is why you always have a seat preference! I had added turbulence that I didn't request in the form of a child using the back of my chair as a punch bag the other day. Usually you have to pay for that extra!

    ReplyDelete